Mercury Told Me Misfiring Was Normal?

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 35 hp 1986 Mercury outboard. I jest bought this boat this spring I have no idea about any service that has may or my not have been done on it. All I know I was told it has a new water pump and starter. I rebuilt the carb and soaked it in carb dip for a day and replace all fuel lines and plugs. Any way I ran this all season the motor did wierd thing like if you run a WOT for hour or so it will misfire once or twice then be fine then do it again. my mercury dealer said this was normal for this motor?:confused: The other thing is how it runs like crap a low speeds some times coughs and dies I was told this is also normal for this block??????:confused: So anyway today I was wintizing it and the lower unit had real low fluid and it was brown and white with a good amout of shavings.:confused: So I refild it and took it out for and hour. I drain it again it was white real small amout of shavings.:mad: I know water is getting in but where? It was like this all season how bad could this be? When can you tell if your lower unit it bad? what Should I do? For all its falts i like this motor I really don't want to get rid of it.

Re: Mercury Told Me Misfiring Was Normal?

Hello,
The white/cream colour in the gearbox oil is caused by the water getting inside the gearbox and emulsifing the oil.
Basicly you have a seal that's gone. Most likely waterpump housing seal or shift shaft seal.
As for metal shavings- thats not good news. Do the gears cruntch/ make a noise when you shift into foward and reverse?!

MY best advice is deal with one problem at a time.

A good engine shouldn't misfire, mine don't.
If it miss fires there probably something else wrong with it. Like I said, one thing at a time slowly try and work your way through it. I think your going to need all the help you can get. You have a few issues that need sorting with this outboard before it gets any worse.
Good luck :)

Laddies

Banned

Scalliwag is right,m fix the lower unit first need address the running problem and find a reputable dealer, the one you talked to don't know if he's punched or bored.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

As the other ppl said you have several issue's.
I wonder if your lower end trouble is being caused by too high of an idle speed.
If you grind going into gear, you will get shavings in your lower end oil.
If your motor is not properly linked n synced, then you cannot properly set the low speed idle.
My approach would be first, linc and sync the motor. second, check out the lower end damage. In my oppinion, its worth taking it apart, if its not too bad, then rebuild it. Otherwise replace it with a used one.