Mercury Timing - Merc650

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there - i was hoping to get some help with the timing adjustment on a 1971 merc 650 4cyl that i have. (serial # 3157960).<br /><br />Im looking at adjusting the timing and the manual says to adjust the 'vertical lever' until the correct timing is reached. (this is to set the max advance timing). the picture in the manual doesnt look the same as whats on my engine (its a poor picture too). Just wondering if what they are referring to is the vertical lever that goes from the throttle cable end to a rod link and actuates the distributer advance?? I think the part (the vertical link) is referred to as a throttle control lever in the parts reference found at:<br /><br />http://www.mercru iserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2056973&ivar=images/MERMAR/56973/7.png&inbr=450&bnbr=6&bdesc=DISTRIBUTOR+ADAPTOR+AND+VERTICAL+LINKAGE<br /><br />part number 48562. <br /><br />Do i adjust the rod link to get the right timing??<br /><br />any help would be much appreciated.<br /><br />Best regards<br />Troy

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Mercury Timing - Merc650

You will adjust the distance that #14 allows the distributor to turn or advance. After the distributor stops, the throttle arm keeps moving and opening the throttle plates.<br /><br />TMD

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury Timing - Merc650

Thanks TMD. <br /><br />Ill give it a go on the weekend with any luck. fingers crossed!<br /><br />Cheers<br />Troy