Mercury Sport Jet 90 - No Spark

bkhitchens

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 94 Baja Blast with SJ 90. Jut got it and took it out last week. Took forever, and a blast of starting fluid to get it started. Once started, it ran great. After a while of tubing it just died and would not restart.

Today I checked spark. Nothing on all three cylinders. I eventually pulled the black/yellow wire and got spark. Tested it, with starting fluid, to see if it would fire and it started right up. I tried to stop it but the key or kill switch had no effect. I eventually pulled the plug wires off to kill it. It was running at neutral WOT for a few seconds, without water, before I killed it.

My questions are: Is this a switch box or kill switch. How do I test either? If I do have to replace switch box what else do I need to switch. I have read that the rectifier should be changed also, but I don't know what this is. The regulator is the new style according to a Mercury service bulletin. Also, what should I check after the fiasco with it starting. The ride plate is pristine. The motor seems fine but I obviously will not try starting it again until in the water.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

bkhitchens

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury Sport Jet 90 - No Spark

As an update, I believe that the problem is the rev limiter. I have seen other posts that had the same problem. I disconnected the black/yellow wire from the switch box - spark, connect it back- no spark. I connected it back and disconnected the black/yellow wire from the other side of the rev limiter-spark. I have a new rev limiter coming tomorrow.

bkhitchens

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury Sport Jet 90 - No Spark

The rev limiter was the problem. The boat ran great for an entire day before another issue arose.