Mercury Outboard with water coming from shift shaft area

saw1996

Cadet
I have a 25 hp mercury outboard with water coming from the shift shaft area. There is water coming from the tell hose. Motor has been setting up for 2 years. I am uncertain of year and model but I think it is a 90s model. Nothing on motor but serial number. Do the water pump need replacing? Is normal for that amount of water to be coming from the shift shaft area?
I took a video to show everyone.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• outboard.mp4
    7.9 MB · Views: 12

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those need a new impeller about every 3 years.----If you do not know how old the impeller is you need a new one.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 25 hp mercury outboard with water coming from the shift shaft area. There is water coming from the tell hose. Motor has been setting up for 2 years. I am uncertain of year and model but I think it is a 90s model. Nothing on motor but serial number. Do the water pump need replacing? Is normal for that amount of water to be coming from the shift shaft area?
I took a video to show everyone.

Thanks in advance.
Mine does that also.. There is a rubber accordion boot on the shift shaft.. The water coming out there has already gone through the motor and is on its way out with the exhaust anyway. After I changed the water pump I was not able to reseat the rubber boot.. I just left it like that. The only time I notice it is running on muffs. EDIT I agree about changing the impellor also.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
So this is not a problem? Can you show me this boot you are talking about?
I do not consider it a problem. As I said the water coming out has already done its job and is going back out the motor anyway. The picture of the boot may differ a little from yours. But you can get the idea.

Attachments

• 319303_1.jpg
    319303_1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely normal.
All motors will do that, especially on muffs where you are using garden hose water pressure to pump an abnormal amount of water through the system.

This IS NOT any indication of whether your water pump is actually working, as the water is being forced by the garden hose.

Test it in a barrel, or a lake. A 25 hp will easily fit in a plastic 30 gallon garbage can.

saw1996

Cadet
Still has water coming out after motor is cranked. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210523_201000.mp4
    15.1 MB · Views: 6