Mercury Mercruiser Lost Forward

etbill52

Seaman
Had my boat on the lake tonight it is a 1977 Sea Ray, 165 HP inline Gm 6Cyl. (Stern drive) It did fine until I started to load it on trailer,I took it out of forward and it wouldn't go back in, I turned it off, raised the lower unit, loaded it on the trailer, and noticed that with the trim all the way up it would go in, lower it back down and it wouldn't lock in forward, reverse works good.
Has the linkage slipped, or do I have another problem?:confused:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Mercruiser Lost Forward

How old is the lower shift cable?...:confused:

etbill52

Seaman

I got the boat used, and I'm thinking it is the Original one the came with the boat, and it is a 1977 . I don't think anything was every replaced on it, except plugs.

etbill52

Seaman

Problem fixed, I had replaced the lower unit a while back, today we took the lower shifting cable off adjusted it some now reverse and forward works.
:)

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would replace that cable. If you doubt it has ever been changed especially. They stretch from use and get gummed up in btween the outer shell and the cable itself. Might be wise to change it before it happens out in the midddle of the lake instead of at the ramp. just my 2 cents

etbill52

Seaman

I would replace that cable. If you doubt it has ever been changed especially. They stretch from use and get gummed up in btween the outer shell and the cable itself. Might be wise to change it before it happens out in the midddle of the lake instead of at the ramp. just my 2 cents

I think you are right, didn't have time to go get one today, hope I will tomorrow. It has to come off anyway the rubber boot it goes though out side the boat is bad, so I am going to replace it to.

Thanks for the help.