Mercury Mark 55E questions

Zetta

Recruit
Hello and Happy New Year!! I’m new to the forum and look forward to learning from all of the experts and shade tree mechanics on this site. I have maintained my own outboards and I/Os over the years and recently a friend asked me to take a look at her Mark 55, model 55E, Serial number 1028668. A local shop told her there was no spark but before we get into that, I noticed that the lower unit is cracked around the outside seal and or bearing race. I guess I can’t post pictures yet but I will send them when I can. Can these lower units be welded and milled or does anyone know where I can check for a replacement. It is an absolutely beautiful O/B mounted on a color and year matched Century Viking boat so I really want to get them back on the water. Thanks in advance for any help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Should be easy to find a lower unit.----Your location ?----Visit ---John's Old Mercury ---site.

Zetta

Recruit
I’m in the western part of Michigan’s lower peninsula, Muskegon, to be exact. I did see John’s Old Mercury site but haven’t joined yet. Thanks for confirming that site.

merc850

Commander
That motor used a magneto that probably needs cleaning and points set; pay attention to the cam wick.
kiekhaefer-magnetosmall.jpg

merc850

Commander
Be careful removing the rotor use 2 screwdrivers at 180* on either side: and don't spin the magneto while holding it it has a real kick