Mercury Lower Unit fiting

Max7

Seaman
hello I have a 1978 mercury 6cly 150hp long shaft model#1500 power trim serial#6200079 I need the lower unit,I been on ebay,and people tha sells their lower unit have said tha their lower unit for sell will fit a 75hp to a 150hp. I seen the pictures and they look just like mine,can you help me to define from how many horse power to how many horse power? I could use.and if is from a short shaft can I adapt it to my long shaft motor,even tha I have to make some modifications on the lower unit like changing the shaft?etc, or if is other lower units from diferent models tha I could use too. thank you again guys! :)

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury Lower Unit fiting

I would try to find a lower foot from a Longshaft motor. You can adapt but you have to swap the driveshafts and water tube. You might as well rebuild it if you are going to tear it down that far. Just about any 85 hp to 150 in the straight six will work. Ebay has several. Also when you say longshaft, do you mean 20" transom or 25". anyway, you should be able to find one with ease.