Mercury help with year?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury help with year?

That s/n is peculiar, not matching any published values.

They started building the 4cyl 80hp motor in 1969 , but the serial number range expected is 2559001 through 2670574.

Australian built motors used s/n 8XXXXXX but that would put it into the late 70's. That motor is clearly older.

As a guess...I'd assume it is a 1969 80hp motor, or maybe a slightly older 85hp.

Newbe15132

Seaman Apprentice

What type of tank gas line do I need? or would it be that same standered type, like one one I have for my 63 evinrude 40hp?

Thanks

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

It will use the older Mercury standard, 1/4 turn fitting. They are widely available at any marine parts supplier. Don't go cheap on the bulb, the quality of the primer bulb is known to affect performance. Best route would be to purchase a Mercury/Quicksilver fuel line.

71733_L1.jpg

Newbe15132

Seaman Apprentice

how would this connect to my tank? It has a different end to it. Would I need to get a new tank?

Thanks

Cape Coder

Seaman Apprentice

what I did was cut the fitting off then end that goes to the fuel tank, put a hose barb fitting on the tank, push the hose all the way over it clamp it, start the motor, and make some wakes!

klittle71

Cadet

I just bought a mercury 50 horse motor and the serial # on it is 6010942 on the side of the motor some one wrote 1984 but i cant confirm if some one could help me with this that would be great also it has a hard time starting about pulled my arm to death when it does start it runs great in neutrual when you go to put it in gear it stalls start it again pump the bulb when switch into gear and it will stay runing but you have to manually pump the fuel bulb to keep it at full speed or it cuts out I need manuals for this boat repair and parts manual also how to operate it. The most important thing is the YEAR