Mercury Gen 1 cables to OMC possible?

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a new - to - me race boat and installed a XP100 Evinrude. Boat is rigged for gen 1 merc shift/throttle cables. Does anyone make an adapter to use those cables on a 1979-up OMC? I see 33c cables do have an adapter, but can't find one for the gen 1 quicksilver cables. these cables have that one big plastic stopper instead of the adjustable thumbwheel like on the OMC's. the reason i'm not just swapping in OMC cables is because i want to use the Nydahl shifter, but it of course only accepts the merc gen 1 shift cable and cannot find an adapter for OMC (trunnion/block is way too large) and they don't appear to be made any longer.. so in basic terms i'm looking for an adapter for either end, really, so it fits this OMC, either by swapping cables or getting an adapter for the motor - end.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Merc OBs and OMC move their throttle cables differently. OMCs usually push the throttle open, while Merc OBs push the throttle closed. Some controls have places to attach the cables for both functions. They are therefore universal. if you do not have a universal control, I fear adapting your the type of cable is not possible.

Both brands operate the shift cable in the same direction, however, the travel may be different. Look for that option on your control as well.

ct1762@gmail.com

Merc OBs and OMC move their throttle cables differently. OMCs usually push the throttle open, while Merc OBs push the throttle closed. Some controls have places to attach the cables for both functions. They are therefore universal. if you do not have a universal control, I fear adapting your the type of cable is not possible.

Both brands operate the shift cable in the same direction, however, the travel may be different. Look for that option on your control as well.
thanks didn't think about the direction of travel! makes sense why there isn't an adapter. back to the drawing board.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You should check the travel direction on the MerCruiser throttle cables, as they may be different than the Merc OBs. I cannot remember how my MerCruiser worked, after all these years.

Travel on the shift cable is real important, and I think Merc built in more travel than the OMC, do to the design of the gearcase shift mechanism. The extra travel on the shift cable may damage the OMC shifter mechanism.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Aftermarket controls can be adjusted for push or pull

ct1762@gmail.com

Thanks for the input guys. All fixed. used OMC cables for the shift just had to add a custom sleeve to the black plastic round anchor. the throttle is connected to a hot foot, and used OMC cables there as well. but yes it seems merc cables have a LOT more travel than OMC's... some big adjustments were necessary.