Mercury Autoblend II - Use it or Lose it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakataka

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Mercury Autoblend II oiler that came with the SportJet 90 in a boat I bought. The previous owner says this unit worked well and has less than 100 hours on it. I'm not using it at present because I don't have a manual for it and I just didn't trust it. Does anyone have any experience with these units or know where I can find an owners manual? Would I be better off to leave it on the shelf rather than try to use it? Using premix, my boat smokes a lot at low throttle and I was thinking that maybe the Autoblend might cure that. Any advice appreciated.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury Autoblend II - Use it or Lose it?

I, myself don't trust them self oilers. <br />What happens if you are at WOT and it decides to quit?<br />Dig in the billfold time. :eek: But hey thats just my opinion on them.<br />I have a good buddy that works on boats for a living and he says that he will disconnect at least one a week because they don't work right or the owners don't feel like they are or they don't want to mess with it.

tednv

Seaman

Keep it or you will wreck your motor. Premix will be too much oil at idle and not enough at wot. There is no manual because its idiot proof. If it stops working you will get no fuel flow, only have to change plastic filter if that happens. Don't listen to all the "I know a guy who...." advice, the motor was designed for autoblend, 50;1 premix will be way too little oil during high rpm operation

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I have 3 motors that have had the oil injuction removed and have never had any trouble with any of them using premixed fuel. As for the smoking, using the new synthed 2 stroke TC-3 rated oil should help with that problem. Most autoblend systems mix 75 to one at idle and 50 to 1 at WOT when the oild is realy needed.JMO
Oldman570

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

I use them and I really like them to the point where if I bought a motor that had the oil injection removed I would reinstall it. Nothing like just dumping a couple of gallons of oil in a tank every few months and refilling it when the system beeps at you .

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

10 years old! CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.