Mercury 8hp or 9.9hp

mjaco

Recruit
Hey guys I am in the market for a new mercury 9.9 four stroke for my 14ft john boat weighing roughly 250lbs, im guessing. I have been looking and found both a 9.9 and an 8hp. Both new four strokes but a difference in price by couple hundred dollars. I have heard that there is not much difference in power between the two and am strongly considering the 8hp over the 9.9. Any suggestions over what I should do. Any reply is appreciated!! Thanks

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Mercury 8hp or 9.9hp

Actually I think you will find a significant difference between the two. 2hp may not seem like a lot, but it's 20% more power. I'd go with the 9.9.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

And if you ever go to sell, because most lakes have a less than 10 horsepower limit, I think you will find the 9.9 to have more of a demand and command a higher price. That's probably why the new engine commands a couple of hundred premium over the 8. Supply and demand drives the economy.

wbeaton

Commander

9.9 hp is one of the most desirable motors used. For a couple hundred I wouldn't even consider the 8 hp. Also, the 9.9 hp will get you and a fat buddy on plane with no problems where as the 8 hp might not.

longshanks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last time I checked, the 8 and 9.9 motors are the same weight. This means the power to weight ratio is greater for the 9.9. As was pointed out, the 9.9 has 20% more power than the 8, at the same weight. For the application you describe, I'd definitely shell out the extra dough for the 9.9.

Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A nit pick: The last time I checked, 1.9HP was a lot closer to 25% of 8HP than 20%, so I would say the 9.9 was 25% more power than an 8.

On the other side, 8 HP is 20% less than the 9.9HP.

Either way, the 9.9 , at the same weight, should perform noticeably better.

mjaco

Recruit

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions! All very good considerations. I will be going with the 9.9!!

plume85

Cadet

Im looking for a 9.9 also but if I learned anything here in the last couple of days and I do have a poll going which needs some more votes! is that mercury are last on the list with honda yamaha tied for firstMercury dose have 2 9.9 Big foot ,prokicker the only thing Im sure of is Im not getting a mercury
Dave

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't put too much importance on your subjective poll, Plume. The statistics are lousy and there is no outboard on the market named sasuki.

plume85

Cadet

Thanks for checking my spelling it appears your pretty good at math also!
so do you like the mercury better than the honda an yamaha

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Mercury is a Tohatsu...Only it's more of a girlie version

Mercury is a Tohatsu...Only it's more of a girlie version

9.9 hp's do command a higher resale value. We sell about 15 to 1 between the 9.8 and 8.

Last edited: