Mercury 850 cowl seal

hereto

Seaman
Hi all,
I have a 1977 Merc 850 and have found and purchased a NOS lower cowl seal still in the package. Does anyone know if it is possible to assemble this seal (P/N 60898) without taking power head loose? If not how must I go about installing the new seal?

Thanks
hereto

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
How about a picture. Can't imagine having to do what you asked. I had a 1970 something 850.....85 hp 4 cyl 2 stroker. I had a clamshell band type sides with an easily removable alum casting top cap. Don't recall a seal at the bottom. If you have a fiberglass one piece bonnet, the seal still should either be split already, or fit over the top of the engine if no split in it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No------The seal is listed in the parts book.-----May have to remove the lower horseshoe cowl to install the new seal.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
No------The seal is listed in the parts book.-----May have to remove the lower horseshoe cowl to install the new seal.

Are we talking about a powerhead to mid section seal? If so then I can understand having to do some removing. On my 850, I don't recall a seal on the top or bottom of where the clamshell band met the upper and lower engine castings.

hereto

Seaman
No Title

Have sent a pic to help clarify location of seal. It is between the drive plate asembly and the exhaust housing.

Thanks for the help,
hereto

Attachments

• photo235690.jpg
    photo235690.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Why do you need to replace that seal? It doesn't really do much - more to prevent the lower cowling trim from vibrating than anything else. The cowling itself is sealed with a separate seal between the belly pan and the exhaust adapter plate.

hereto

Seaman
No Title

Have sent another pic which shows the drive shaft plate assembly mounted ( with 7 bolts not visable ), to the exhaust housing. The seal I am wanting to
replace performs a couple important functions.
#1 Keeps water from rushing into lower cowl when coming to a stop. Helps keep stuff drier inside engine compartment.
#2 There is no gasket between drive shaft plate and the exhaust housing , the seal is the only thing to keep black oily residues from running down the sides of the exhaust housing ( which is the problem I have ) Just need some help on what needs to be dissasembled to get to that seal. I have removed
power head before, but thats as far as I have went.

hereto

Attachments

• photo235722.jpg
    photo235722.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1

merc850

Commander
DS-housing-850.jpg
Here's the breakdown, you'll need the two gaskets and remove the 7 bolts (Nr. 10) to remove the seal.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would simply remove the old seal and see how the replacement goes on.----Somehow I do not think it is very involved.---Will look at a few motors later today.