Mercury 650 shifting /throttle issues

Back2WorkWesty

Recruit
I am having problems that I cannot figure out on my 1969 Mercury 650 4 cylinder 2 stroke outboard. Shifting adjustment seems to elude me and unfortunately nobody in southern California seems to work on anything that is older than 15 years.

First off, yes I tried the shift adjusting technique in this sticky thread: https://forums.iboats.com/threads/s...-setup-for-mercury-outboards-verified.665210/

Confidence was high that it all went together correctly, as suggested, and after a run on the water today I have multuple things happening where the issues changed as we went along. This causes me concern that there some something else deeper in the engine than just adjusting the shift shaft but since I know less than nothing, I am struggling a bit..

Engine fires up and runs fine. Purrs nicely actually. After adjusting the shifter as recommended, we put the boat in the water to see where we were.

At the dock Neutral to reverse, low rpm clicked in ok, then same neutral to Fwd. We decided to give it a go. Started pulling away frim the dock but then something seemed to 'jump' and forward gear engaged about 1/2 -3/4 throttle only. I would liken it to dropping the clutch at higher rpm in a car or motorcycle. Lowering rpm caused it to feel like it was slipping cogs. Only higher rpm seemed smooth and solid.

Then it smoothed out and things changed.

No more neutral or reverse.

I had low RPM FWD with no jumping or issues, could even idle through no wake zone easily but zeemed to not have full-throttle in open water, only about 3/4 at full forward. Putting it into N only kept it moving forward at idle and going into reverse and increasing throttle did not change prop direction, merely increased throttle in the still-forward direction.

I am stumped. Likely something worn, but where could I start?

Thanks for reading and any direction provided.

Back2WorkWesty

Recruit
Still no progress on fixing the issue. I do now have service and parts manuals on the way.

I have learned a few more things that may help diagnosis. With the L.U. removed, the shift shaft has vertical play and if pulled upward it will spin 360 with the shift cog. I believe this to be the root of my problem, but until I get manuals I do not know if there is a part missing (spring perhaps? ) or maybe just worn out and should not have this play.

Any thoughts?