Mercury 60 hp Bigfoot sputtering at mid speed??

Flounderhook

Cadet
My 96 60 hp Bigfoot engine starts, idles, and runs great wide open but seems to sputter a bit at mid range. When I push the throttle up it will remain at a lower speed and then suddenly "kick-in" as I push the throttle up to full. Need help.......

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Mercury 60 hp Bigfoot sputtering at mid speed??

Flounderhook, Look at your carbs.Find the mixture screws.If the upper carbs have mixture screws,and the lower ones don't (no spring on mixture screw),then your motor only idles on the upper cylinders.<br />The lower carbs start to kick in around 1800 to 2000 RPMs .<br />Generally this is not a bad thing,but on some boat/motor combinations the boat will actually accelerate quite a bit during this transition. <br />Being 1996 engine I don't think Merc is obligated to do anything,but they may have some ideas.<br />New carbs are pricey.<br />DHP

Flounderhook

Cadet

I was thinking if there is a feul filter it may be clogged, I will look at the carbs and see if this is the case. What else should I look at while I am in there??

bobmac

Cadet

Sounds like the same problem several people have with the 60 hp bigfoot. I think it is linked to the engine getting wet. Some people think it is water getting into the carbs, but looking at the reply you have regarding progressive carbs I am inclined to think it is electronics getting wet and causing a malfunction in the progressive carbs. If you can find the controlling electronics see if they are damp or wet. Good luck!

daddypyke

Cadet

I know it's a newer motor but check the coils as well. It cant hurt.