Mercury 50hp thunderbolt.

raemond

Cadet
My pull start is broken and I dont know how to fix it.Does anyone have a diagram of the pull start system. Iwould realy apreciate it if someone could mail me one as I cant get a manual for 3 weeks. Please help me as I cant wait to use my boat. <br />Regards Ray.<br />raemond@indigo.ie

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury 50hp thunderbolt.

Howdy, Raemond.<br /><br />Please do not attempt to service a recoil starter without a manual. Those thing are dangerous!<br /><br />Try checking out a manual at your local library.<br /><br />"Broken" doesn't tell me anything. What is it doing that it shouldn't, what is it not doing that it should?<br /><br />Let us know. :)

raemond

Cadet

Thanks for the reply JB,<br /><br />I have allready put a new spring in the pull start on another engine so I kind of know what Im doing, the problem is when I pull the cord it doesnt turn the fly wheel. It used to get grip every 3 or 4 pulls but now theres nothing.<br />Any ideas with whats wrong.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Raemond.<br /><br />There are spring loaded dogs in the rotor that should be forced out by a cam to grip the flywheel "cup" when you start to pull. When you release, their springs pull them back in.<br /><br />Unless your Merc has an unusual design that is probably where your problem is. They could just be gummed up with crud and only need cleaning.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

raemond

Cadet

Thanks JB,<br /><br />What u said makes sense, I will stip it down again and give it a good cleaning, hopefully I will get it sorted for next weekend.<br /><br /> :D :D