Mercury 4 Stroke 30hp

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need prop recommendations for father-in-law's fishing boat. It's a 2006 16' Tuffy Esox with a same year Mercury 4 Stroke 30hp. He's currently got a 11.5" prop but strange enough I can't find the pitch on the prop. His motor manual says WOT is between 5200 - 6200rpm's.

The boat is a flat bottom and with two guys and gear probably weighs 1200lbs.

I'm thinking a 11x13 maybe?

Expidia

Commander
Re: Mercury 4 Stroke 30hp

I owned that 2006 model for about two weeks. It's a heavy sucker. I swapped it for a 2007 40 which is 30 lbs lighter than that 06 30.

The 2006 30 I had probably had a throttle linkage issue. There might have been a recall on it. Check with a Merc dealer.

As to the pitch of another prop . . . your best bet is to try one out with the load you are going to usually have on board . . people, gear etc.

And buy the prop from a dealer, online site, marina etc that will let you swap it for a different pitch once you try it. Keep the original one on board as a spare.

You need to watch the tach closely (or hook one up) as once you change the pitch it's real easy to be over revving and you will blow it up if you drive it revving over the 6k mark for extended periods.

Don't lend that rig to anyone with a different prop on it, because they will inadvertently blow it up for you!

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Btw it would be more important to him to get up on plane as quick as possible then to have a fast speed.

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I owned that 2006 model for about two weeks. It's a heavy sucker. I swapped it for a 2007 40 which is 30 lbs lighter than that 06 30.

The 2006 30 I had probably had a throttle linkage issue. There might have been a recall on it. Check with a Merc dealer.

As to the pitch of another prop . . . your best bet is to try one out with the load you are going to usually have on board . . people, gear etc.

And buy the prop from a dealer, online site, marina etc that will let you swap it for a different pitch once you try it. Keep the original one on board as a spare.

You need to watch the tach closely as once you change the pitch it's real easy to be over revving and you will blow it up if you drive it revving over the 6k mark for extended periods.

Well I was hoping to just buy one for him online instead of having him try them out and return them. That would just not work for him.

I'll see what I can find on the recall - I know he doesn't have any issues with it and it's a tiller without remote throttle cables. Thanks for the heads up.

Expidia

Commander

Mine came with a 13 and I only had to drop down to a 12.

I'd go one step at a time.

If the dealer set the rig up then you probably will be OK dropping one step. It's hard to say though because it's a flat bottom boat (Mines a V). Ask him who set the boat and motor up or if he just hung a 30 on himself. Most O/B don't come with props. The dealer matches one to the type of boat.

Expidia

Commander

One step down should pop it right up on plane. If not, have him think about getting a longer hose and moving the gas tank towards the middle of the boat. Tillers are tough cause you normally have the driver, battery, gas tank etc all off the back of the boat.

I used to use a tiller extension, so I could sit on the middle seat when I owned a tiller. But you need to be careful as you give up some control.