Mercury 30hp non starter?

AllieMillie

Cadet
Hi,
I am writing in regards to the above outboard that was bought 2011, but was not used and sat in a garage until a year ago, 2023. It appears brand new, but there is no indication of hour usage. It seems likely that it has not been run-in to the required 10 hrs @25:1 oil ratio. It will not start.

Can you tell me what possible damage could have been done to the motor with it sitting so long and not being run-in to the manufacturer's requirements. And how to rectify, please?

Regards
Allan

AllieMillie

Cadet
Hi,

Model: 1030211EL [#on top]
Serial: ON351889

It has started with Easy start one time, but then the next day wouldn't start even with using Easy start.

Many thanks
Allan

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the SN, shows it's a 2 stroke Carb and Beligum
I'm assuming easy start is Either, and using Either can damage the motor

When it started the one time, did it run for a while and you shut it down? Or did it start real quick and then shut down?

Is gas making it to the Carb?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Could be many things, because it has run in the past are the carbs clogged from sitting ?? Any rodent damage in the electrical wiring, they love to chew on wires. Are the plugs firing ?? Have you run a compression check ?? You might find a reason it has sit all those years!! Many years back, a friend bought a new small outboard, let his son use it and he didn't add oil to the fuel. Ruined the motor but he never told his Dad, guess what Dad found out the next season when he tried to use it ??

AllieMillie

Cadet
Could be many things, because it has run in the past are the carbs clogged from sitting ?? Any rodent damage in the electrical wiring, they love to chew on wires. Are the plugs firing ?? Have you run a compression check ?? You might find a reason it has sit all those years!! Many years back, a friend bought a new small outboard, let his son use it and he didn't add oil to the fuel. Ruined the motor but he never told his Dad, guess what Dad found out the next season when he tried to use it ??
I'm thinking that you may be right due to a long sit and the single carb needs its jet cleaned.No rogue rodent damage. It looks brand new. plugs are wet, have tried a new pair. Thanks

AllieMillie

Cadet
Thanks for the SN, shows it's a 2 stroke Carb and Beligum
I'm assuming easy start is Either, and using Either can damage the motor

When it started the one time, did it run for a while and you shut it down? Or did it start real quick and then shut down?

Is gas making it to the Carb?
Yes it is ether and my experience needing to use that stuff means there is an underlying issue.
I can't answer the second question as I wasn't present when mechanic had it running.
Spark plugs are wet so I assume go juice is getting there.

AllieMillie

Cadet
Compressions: 107 and 110.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Compressions: 107 and 110.
A little low but should be workable, could be a little low from sitting....dry cylinders from using ether starting fluid, you might try wd40 so it doesn't scuff the cylinders like ether can do

airshot

Rear Admiral
Can't say for sure, but I would think 125 or there abouts but compression can be low from sitting and having dry cylinders.

AllieMillie

Cadet
Many thanks for that. It is certainly a mystery. I personally think that it hasn't been run in correctly which has affected it in some way.