mercury 25hp xd 1985

mxhonda801

Recruit
I have this merc 25 xd and maybe 6months ago i replaced the stator it runs and idels fine it worked great for 6months when i throttel up wide open it misses and cuts out real bad the same thing it did when the stator when out the first time . I assume it is electrical i put new plugs and wires still same problem any ideas on what i can look for to try an fix this thing. Thanks

casi77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mercury 25hp xd 1985

I have the same engine and exact same problem.
Have cleaned carb and put in new plugs , then tested it on water had no difference, exact same problem at full throttle. Idle and regular speed is ok, there is hesitation, bogging type symp. At full throttle.

ncpearldiver

Recruit

Hey,
I just bought one of these 25xd's. It needed an impeller and a carb cleaning and fired right up and smooth after tuning the carb. I put it on my boat and took it for a test run and when I opened it up it kinda hesitated as you have mentioned too. Upon taking a closer look I noticed some gas bubbling from what I am assuming is the intake where it bolts to the block. Its sucking air and causing to run irradically. Check yours and see if it is doing the same thing. If you look just above the shifter rod on the side of the motor you will see aseam where the intake and block. It only showed when I open up the throttle good. So far this has been the easiest outboard I have ever worked on. Hope this helps. Going to attempt to fix mine this weekend.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Clean the carb.....could be the highspeed jet clogged up. Also make sure the primer is still intact. If that don't fix it then check the switch box