Mercury 200 20 Hp Recoil Problems

cvsa78

Cadet
I have what I think is a 1974 - S/N 4055965 20 HP

When I pull the rope it doesn't recoil? I have never worked on Mercurys but I'll take a wack at it. I ordered the manual already. The nut on top has 2 tabs that are bent over. How do I remove the recoil assembly?

Thx

7920hpMercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 200 20 Hp Recoil Problems

You are on the right track, ordering a manual is the absolute best way forward. I like the Mercury factory manuals, order from Mercury or ebay, Seloc is good too.
Tab on top is a locking tab, one tab on a flat of the nut and another tab into the housing. The nut sets your windup tension and hold the assembly in the housing. This is a left hand thread on the nut. The windup pretension is 2 revolutions from rest. Manual explains all of this and more. One caution is to be careful with the rewind spring if you decide to pull it out, clean it and grease it. I usually put the whole assembly in a bag of some kind and pull out the spring end with a locking needle nose pliers. Starter pawls need to be removed and cleaned as the grease gets old and they stick. Pay close attention to bevel on flat washer direction and wave washers. You need to get all of this back together exactly right, or it will not work smoothly.

Good luck, great motors!

cvsa78

Cadet
Re: Mercury 200 20 Hp Recoil Problems

Nailed it. Works like a charm..

I just need to clean or carb kit and see if this puppy runs. I changed the lower unit oil, changed wp and checked all that I could and the carb is the only thing holding me back. I cant wait for my sealoc manual to get here.

Thx