mercury 175 efi rebuild

suprtrkr1974

Cadet
anyone know which way connecting rods go back in with part number facing up or down. my manual tells me on number one cylinder to put in with part number stamping facing up but doesnt say on the rest of cylinders weather the stamping goes up or down. i had all layed out the way the came out but unfourtunatly someone got on my bench and moved things around and now i'm lost so any help would b greatly appreciated.

M

Maxz695

Re: mercury 175 efi rebuild

Are the pitons on the rods? is there a port hole in the pistons? Do the pistons have a dome? I they have a dome they will only go into the cylinder one way. The rods on one corner should have a raise to indicate that those two ends shoul be matched to be correctly installed. If the pistons have the port hole in them then the raises on the connecting rod should be oposite the port hole. I,m giving this info from the 70 HP i just redid. Yours is more than likely much different. If there flat head pistons. I can,t give you any information on them.The raise is not on this side it looks like a mini weld and is separated when the rods are. View attachment 172515 If it,s an inline motor they would all go semetrically in the same direction when being reinstalled. I have no info on a V type engine

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

anyone know which way connecting rods go back in with part number facing up or down.
It dont really make any difference if up or down if pistons was removed, when I reassemble a customers motor I always put them (numbers) facing up. I have dissembled factory motor with rod numbers up and down in them.
i had all layed out the way the came out but unfourtunatly someone got on my bench and moved things around and now i'm lost
Now you need to be careful.. Clean the top of pistons and find the cast in UP and S and P on piston, S is starboard side P is port . If they are aftermarket pistons they will how the word UP or TOP etched in piston crown with arrow pointing to exhaust

suprtrkr1974

Cadet

thanks for the info on rods there fatz. i know when i took them out some were up some were down just didnt want to spend all the money on parts and end up putting a rod in upside down and it only run for 30 seconds b4 a rod breaks

Dukedog

Captain

i had all layed out the way the came out but unfourtunatly someone got on my bench and moved things around and now i'm lost so any help would b greatly appreciated.

Tha rod caps didn't get jumbled up in tha fray did they?

suprtrkr1974

Cadet

No rods and caps we're together I just didn't think to look at the casting numbers to see which way was up in which were down