Mercury 170 hp black max HELP!!

lazydayz

Cadet
Hi,

New member here and totally new member to the boating world. I am a total noob so please excuse my dumb questions and clueless answers....heres my issue.

I just purchased a 1977 witchcraft. It has a Mercury Outboard that says V6 Black MAX on it. I was told it was 170 HP.

My issue: When first starting the motor I need to spray starter fluid into the carbs while i try to start the motor. I have pumpped fuel into the motor by pressing on the squeeze thingy...(very NOOB). It will eventually start, but i wanted to know what the problem is and if I can try to fix myself...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Mercury 170 hp black max HELP!!

Hi,

New member here and totally new member to the boating world. I am a total noob so please excuse my dumb questions and clueless answers....heres my issue.

I just purchased a 1977 witchcraft. It has a Mercury Outboard that says V6 Black MAX on it. I was told it was 170 HP.

My issue: When first starting the motor I need to spray starter fluid into the carbs while i try to start the motor. I have pumpped fuel into the motor by pressing on the squeeze thingy...(very NOOB). It will eventually start, but i wanted to know what the problem is and if I can try to fix myself...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

First off, the fuel carries the lubricating oil to the engine. When you spray a solvent into the carbs (starting fluid) you wash off the oil. Do that a few times, and you can just junk the bone that's left.

Good fuel, good (and well timed) spark, compression, and it's gotta go. If the motor is completely unknown to you, you need to do a physical examination on it.
Compression test 120 or so on each cylinder, all within 10%.
Check for dripping carbs. (flooding) rebuild carbs if needed
Check for dry plugs (no fuel) rebuild carbs if needed
Check the condition of the fuel system components, fuel pump and hoses.
Check the condition of the water pump. Replace what's needed, but at least the rotor.
Linkage adjustment procedure. (link-n-sync)

Now you can diagnose any problems you have. probably won't be any. Most of these old engines never get the preventative maintainance that keeps them running sweet. My 88 XR4 runs like a scalded dog.

hope it helps
John

lazydayz

Cadet

First off, the fuel carries the lubricating oil to the engine. When you spray a solvent into the carbs (starting fluid) you wash off the oil. Do that a few times, and you can just junk the bone that's left.

Good fuel, good (and well timed) spark, compression, and it's gotta go. If the motor is completely unknown to you, you need to do a physical examination on it.
Compression test 120 or so on each cylinder, all within 10%.
Check for dripping carbs. (flooding) rebuild carbs if needed
Check for dry plugs (no fuel) rebuild carbs if needed
Check the condition of the fuel system components, fuel pump and hoses.
Check the condition of the water pump. Replace what's needed, but at least the rotor.
Linkage adjustment procedure. (link-n-sync)

Now you can diagnose any problems you have. probably won't be any. Most of these old engines never get the preventative maintainance that keeps them running sweet. My 88 XR4 runs like a scalded dog.

hope it helps
John

thank you very much...sounds like im going to need to take it to a mechanic because i dont know how to do any of that....

I appreciate your help!

Thanks again...

j_martin

Admiral

It could be as simple as figuring out the starting procedure.

for mine, it's
Pump primer bulb to hard.
turn on key
Raise idle lever
hold choke for 6 seconds
crank to start (usually within 5 seconds)
nurse with choke buttons for a few seconds
lower idle speed, idle till warm (about 30 seconds)
go boating.

I suspect you have an XR4 engine on it. They are rated at 150, actually are about 162 out of the box, and easily hit 170 with a little head work. If it is, it's a steel sleeve motor. Be sure it's warm before you pour the coal to it, or it could stick. (cold freeze)

hope it helps
John