mercury 150 tilt problem

Gilbert A.

Cadet
I came to this site seeking help when the "up" switch on the for my Mariner V150 would only click weakly at the dash and on the motor. I may have gotten some help, reading about related problems and solutions in your chat room. I called my mechanic and asked about the location of [what I called] the relays. Next I went back to the motor, followed the clicking sound to what I suppose is one of two solenoids affixed to the rectifier housing. One of the contacts looked suspicious. After loosening all of them up, cleaning and spraying wd-40, I noticed that if I played with that one--the one with the blue lead--I would get the motor to tilt up. However, every time I tighted up on the nut holding the wire to the stud I would only get the clicking sound. I now have it slack, and it is functioning. I believe this is a sign that the solenoid--relay or whatever--is about to fail, though the pole is not shaking. So, I shall replace it. Hope this note helps someone. <br /><br />Many thanks for the help I got through the chat messages.<br /><br />plan3

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury 150 tilt problem

plan3....moving your post to Mercury/Mariner Troubles and Repairs.