Mercury 15 HP engine life

EFIS

Seaman Apprentice
HI<br />A question regarding engine life - How long would be the normal hours life expectancy of the above engine. I realise that they can go on for years, but if i use it for 250 hours every year when would be a good time to overhaul.It gets looked after well! Will both the compression tests indicate a impending failure or is there an approx time. Thanks in advance!! I am interested in how long others trust their new engines to behave....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 15 HP engine life

hello<br /> in 30 years I think I have seen 2 outboards actually wear out. the rest died from customer neglect or groundings. usually an overheat will take them out.If its not overheat its gummy carbs and a bad/poorly maintained fuel system. water in the tank is the best one to kill an outboard or running last years fuel, cause ya still had a gallon left(yankees are bad about this,wont throw away anything) I have a crabber with a 140 VRO 1989 motor that I rebuilt in 98 that in the spring showed me reciepts that he has run just over 13,000 gallons of gas through it. VRO still connected :) . so how long will a tiny mite last? dunno its like asking how many licks to a tootsie roll center. take good care of it dont let it go more than 2 years between impeller changes do the maint and that little high performance package goes a long long time.<br />and remember if you add 5 gallons of fresh gas/oil to 1 gallon of the year old stuff you now have six gallons of motor killing trash gas.<br /> good luck and let us know how many licks it takes :) :)