Mercury 125 starter sproket sticking????

Flounderhook

Cadet
Have a Merc 125 SS and the starter sprocket is sticking and not engaging all the time when I try to start. I can loosen it with pliers by holding the top nut and spinning the starter sprocket the opposite way. It seems to be dropping back down a little to hard or far for it to spin back up and engage the flywheel. ANY suggestions???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury 125 starter sproket sticking????

it's called a bendix. use some light oil, sparingly, to free it up. also check your battery cables on batttery and motor end. that them apart and clean. also check for nicks, as cables get moisture in them, and deterioate from the inside. low voltage can also cause this problem. have the battery load tested at an autoparts store, usually free.

Flounderhook

Cadet

Thanks, I did try a little spray oil. It seems to just spin the entire rod when I try to start. Could the spring be pushing the sprocket back down too hard? It seems like it is almost stuck. I will try the battery cables on both ends as well.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Rotate the bendix up the shaft by hand. If it sticks at any point that's the problem. Clean the grooves thorough and don't use a heavy oil. A spray lubricant like Tri-Flo is great. Oil simply gunks up the grooves after awhile. If you have a weak battery that would also contribute to the problem. Lastly, the bendix itself could be bad. If the starter worked fine before, the spring is not the problem as they don't suddenly get stronger.

pete007

Recruit

I would remove the starter -n- have it tested......Pretty easy.But first things first.....#1 Battery....#2 Connections....#3 Ignition(all wiring to that point)....then(Test starter). me-