Mercuriser 1970 165hp valves

bubbahemi

Seaman Apprentice
got a 165 250cid need valve job:( any know were to get some and need the water pump kit number it is a pre alpha 165 drive thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercuriser 1970 165hp valves

got a 165 250cid need valve job:( any know were to get some and need the water pump kit number it is a pre alpha 165 drive thanks

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... There's No such thing as a Pre-alpha,...

You probably have an MC-1 drive,... Got a serial number, 'n We'll see..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

got a 165 250cid need valve job:( any know were to get some

Do you know what a valve job is? You don't just order one and have it delivered. In a nutshell, you remove the head from the engine, send it to a machine shop that grinds the valves and seats with special equipment, then you re-install the head back on the engine.

Which water pump kit are you looking for? There is an impeller kit, and kits with the upper housing, some with the base.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I guess another question might be: How did you determine it needed a valve job?

bubbahemi

Seaman Apprentice

Do you know what a valve job is? You don't just order one and have it delivered. In a nutshell, you remove the head from the engine, send it to a machine shop that grinds the valves and seats with special equipment, then you re-install the head back on the engine.

Which water pump kit are you looking for? There is an impeller kit, and kits with the upper housing, some with the base.
iknow how to do a valve job is and allso have the tools i just cant find the wright one

bubbahemi

Seaman Apprentice

I guess another question might be: How did you determine it needed a valve job?

pulled the head off and the vale was caked so i am going to change the valves and the piston

Bondo

Staff member

pulled the head off and the vale was caked so i am going to change the valves and the piston

Ayuh,.... What's a Caked valve, 'n What's wrong with the piston,..??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There may be nothing wrong with the valve. The "cake" you mention may very likely be oil due to a badly worn/broken set of rings on that piston. A suggestion here: don't buy any parts until you know what you need and why? Why replace a piston if the bore is ok, the piston is ok, and the clearance is within spec. Replace the rings on ALL cylinders and go boating. If the piston needs replacing and the clearance is close to the limit, ask your Chevy dealer for a high limit piston. These are pistons that still fall into the "standard" bore size but fall at the high end of the manufacturing tolerance. You will likely need to speak with a parts person that is older than 20.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The rod whet throw the top of the piston after it hit the valve

Still not sure what you are describing... but if you are saying the connecting rod went through the piston... or even if the valve busted the piston, then you have much larger problems than simply needing a valve job.

But back to your basic question - all of the internal parts (including the valves) are the same for a Chevy Truck with a 250 cubic inch engine. If you have a machine shop do the work, then they can get the parts. If you do the work and need to order parts, then have your parts guy look up an early 70's Chevy truck.

bubbahemi

Seaman Apprentice

i am going to pull the motor and rebuild it but the heads were ported and the valves are bigger than stock