Mercuiser 4.3 wont shut off

tilen

Cadet
I was on the lake for the 4th in the morning I started my boat to let it warm up as people was loading there stuff but when I turn the key off the motor stayed running so I shut off the kill switch and nothing so I pulled the coil wire and she died. I replaced the ignition switch started it and same thing so I cleaned the top of the coil and now she works :confused: Could this be the problem or is she waiting for me to get her in the water again to act up again?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Mercuiser 4.3 wont shut off

This is a strange one, but don't just throw parts at it. We could use some more info on what we are discussing, a serial number would be great, but at least need the year.

Turn the key and see if you get 12 volts on the + side of the coil, then turn it iff and see if it goes away

tilen

Cadet

thanks my boat is a 2006 Q6 Tahoe vin # BUJC57TXK506 I check the ignition the coil and the slave solenoid had a little corrosion on the main terminals on the slave solenoid I cleaned them and reinstalled it and now my boat starts and shuts off perfectly but I don't understand how corrosion can prevent the ignition from shutting off my boat seems like that would keep it from starting not shutting off

carguy001

Seaman

One thing to check is with the key off motor off is if you have power to the positive side of the coil, if you do have any power 5 volts or 12 volts or anything voltage wise that is why it stays running. Could be a loose connector or some how Un-switched power is bleeding into the ignition circuit. Check for burn or melted wires, did you recently add a radio or something.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After you shut off the engine and had to pull the coil wire to stop the engine, did the fuel pump continue to run?

What's the engines serial number, and do you have an Alpha or Bravo drive. The boat HIN is of no use.

tilen

Cadet

the engine # is OW384026 I checked for melted wires found none no after market device was added and yes when I pulled the coil wire the fuel pump stayed running I had to disconnect my battery to trailer her home now their is no power to the coil with the key off but while on the water there had to be but from what source of power unless the corrosion on the slave solenoid was conducting electricity thanks for knolage