Mercrusier 140 Fuel Problem?

matthewpa

Cadet
Was running this weekend towing three tube with my 1982 18' which has a 140 in it. Suddenly the motor just bogged and stopped. The motor only has 144 hrs on it, It would turn over fine but not run. Brought it into the dock and checked everything, looked good. When I pulled the fuel filter though, there was no gas in the filter area, dry as a bone. The filter looked good and clean too, just had a tune up at 130 hrs earlier this summer. I put a small amount of gas in the carb and after a couple tries it started up again. Pulled the tube again and again it bogged and stopped. Filter was dry again. We drove home last night and this morning I checked the filter again and now there is gas in there. Any ideas what might be happening? Low hours on boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercrusier 140 Fuel Problem?

Plugged fuel tank vent, plugged fuel tank pickup, plugged antisiphon valve.

matthewpa

Cadet

Don said:
Plugged fuel tank vent, plugged fuel tank pickup, plugged antisiphon valve.

i took off the fuel line yesterday and sucked on it and gas came no problem. I thought about vent being plugged, but when I opened the cap really slow, I did not hear any air being drawn in. Not sure where the antisphon valve is, where is it, I will check it.

matthewpa

Cadet

I took the boat into the dealer, they said the fuel pump is good and that the carb needs to be rebuilt because the seals and gaskets over time have become bad. The boat sat for years and years without use. Does this sound accurate? Can a carb that needs to be rebuilt cause this type of trouble?