mercruiser

saaabe

Seaman
hello, I have a 2007 glastron with a mercruiser 3.0l engine. this engine was install new recently. the problem am having is that when the engine is not on gear it works fine but when i put it in forward the rpm will not got pass 3100 event if I put the shift all the way down, when not in gear it the engine accelerates fine but in gear will not accelerate more than 3100 rpm and takes for ever to go on plane. when the boat is on plane still no rpm and to turn the engine off is a pain it will diesel up for about 30 second. Any Idea what may be happening ?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: mercruiser

I would start by looking at the choke. If it is not opening all the way it could do what you are describing. It would also hold the idle high and could cause the dieseling also. You can check this on the muffs. just remove the top of your flame arestor and let boat run for a while. You may need to work the throttle after it warms up to release the cam on the choke. Be carefull if it diesels in the water you can get water back into the engine and really mess things up. You might want to pull plugs and check this before you hit the starter.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

When the lever is all the way down, is the throttle plate fully open?
Is the choke plate fully open after warm up?

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like a carb or choke problem,take the flame assem.off and let the boat idle and warm up,operate the throttle in netural,see if anything is sticking,i had this same thing,it was my linkige sticking,good luck rc

saaabe

Seaman

thank you guys for your advise but in neutral it runs perfect only happens while in gear I was told to check the timing what do you guys think will timing do this on gear only or also will do the same at neutral

dubs283

Vice Admiral

its great that the engine runs perfect in neutral

its not great that it will get you nowhere

you need to set the ignition system per factory specs, then start troubleshooting the other areas

use step by step procedures and you will find the problem

and yes, the timing needs to be correct for the engine to run properly

ma glastron

Seaman

Sounds like what my boat was doing this weekend. Solved my problem by taking my sun shade that stores in the engine compartment out. It was hitting the throttle cable.

saaabe

Seaman

thank you for your help guys took care of the timing problem now the boat is running change impeller to and no more heating doing about 40MPH at 4600 rpm me and the boat mechanic ran the bay at key Biscayne Saturday ran good all day once again thank you