MERCRUISER VS VOLVO-PENTA BLOCKS

LANCLJ

Cadet
Anyone know if there are any differences between the Mercruiser 5.7 EFI Block and one with a Volvo-Penta 5.7 EFI serial tag ?<br /><br /> I don't think there is, but you never know ......!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: MERCRUISER VS VOLVO-PENTA BLOCKS

Mercruiser and Volvo Penta are two different companies.<br /><br />Volvo Penta did have a joint venture with OMC in the early '90's. Perhaps this is what you are thinking of?

LANCLJ

Cadet

They are two different companies ???? NO KIDDING !!!<br /> Thanks for the reply, but C'mon, now. I just wanted to know if there was anything major that was different betweeen the blocks produced for the two companies.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

350 GM small block ...both...bazillion made

Bondo

Staff member

If you're talking about the Engine Block,.......<br /><br />Robby is Right,.......<br /><br />They're All Chevies underneath.......

LANCLJ

Cadet

THANKS.<br /> <br /> I picked up a 5.7 Vortec, and am going to hang onto it for "spare" parts, as long as I continue to run a small-block in the boat.<br /> Just curious about the Volvo-Penta ID tag.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

one is painted black and the other was gray or red. does that help :) <br /> but as far as the base engine as long as both had the same EFI setup the blocks are mostly the same.