Mercruiser transom plate mount holes and washers

jgough

Cadet
Hi All,

Wierd deal, I am repowering my 1995 mercruiser 5.7 L and bought new rear motor mounts and the bolt kit. In the diagrams I have seen (thanks Don S) the old style mounts have a double wound washer that looks like it sits on TOP of the transom plate mount. That's fine, except the transom plate that I have has a large hole for the bolt to go though, large enough for the old-style spring washer to drop though....the transom plate mount is kinda hollow, and there's probably 1" under the surface where the fiber washer rests. I bought a kit with the old-style mounts, so I was going to replace everything as original, but now I'm a bit confused. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Jim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser transom plate mount holes and washers

That's fine, except the transom plate that I have has a large hole for the bolt to go though, large enough for the old-style spring washer to drop though....the transom plate mount is kinda hollow, and there's probably 1" under the surface where the fiber washer rests.

Can you post a picture of this problem? The transom shield only comes in one style and that is for the 1/2" bolt.

jgough

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Don,

Unfortunately I have already mounted the motor, and it's covered...but I can tell you that the spacer fits inside the transom shield mount, I know this because I put it in there thinking it belonged there! Until I found your diagram , that is. The spacer is probably .6 inches in diameter and .8 high, and it dropped right in...the nut "keeper" underneath is still there, and it works fine. I don't kow if this is an aftermarket transom shield, because I bought the boat last year from another guy.

Shoud I put a spacer in there to take up some of that space?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

jgough

Cadet

Wow, really good stuff, thatnks for the info. I can tell you that I must have some kind of aftermarket transom plate, because there is enough room in the hole (in the transom plate, not the flywheel housing, Bt) for a space like the one that goes on the top of the flywheel housing.

I hate to disappoint, but I sure ain't going to pull the motor agin to show pics...sorry! But thanks for the help. I'll post a pic of when it's all done!
Jim

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

but I sure ain't going to pull the motor agin to show pics

I feel quite sure you will be pulling it again ,there are no aftermarket housings.
If the rear mounting system is not correct to support the motor properly ,you will at the least have a hard time aligning it or you will destroy the coupler in short order