Not open for further replies.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser Sterndrive!!!

It looks like a pre-alpha.

ziggy

Admiral

from the outside, it certainly looks just like my mercruiser 1 drive. which would be the original drive for your rig. since you have no stickers you can still id by s/n. it's stamped into the upper, under where the sticker is.. w/o a sticker your number should be visible.. like this.
IMG_2671.jpg

look close to see the number, it's kinda faintly stamped.. as you can see, i had to scrape the paint off to see the number on mine. this drive was off a 1972 165hp L6...

billdewberry

Cadet

Sir I am new to the Forum and after 2 hours of searching. I still have not figured out how to post a thred. I see you are quite Knowledgeable so may I ask you this. I was on the lake yesterday and we were cruising along in my 1990 Bayliner with 4.3 Mercruiser SternDrive. All of a suddne we hit a low spot and the boat came to an abrupt stop. We used the oars to navigate the boat to deeper water and I started my engine up. The engine would not engage forward Gear. We were left going back to ramp in reverse and a lot of smoke was coming out of the engine compartment. I came home and removed the shift cable and tried to engage the forward gear by hand. No success. I being a novice boater but a engine mechanic for some years decided that maybe a gear has stripped. I repved the outdrive and looked through the cavity for metal shavings. Nothing but three sheild looking plates fell out. I have no clue why this boat will not go forward. It boggs out in reverse. It was running fine until we did the SS MinnowIMG_0051.jpg

Please help. DO I need to buy another lower drive?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats Bill, you need to start a new thread of your own, not hijack an old 2009 thread with your problem.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Post new thread.jpg
    Post new thread.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Looks like he was able to post a thread back in November.... Wonder what changed? Oh well...hope he figures out how to move this to where it should be. Problem doesnt sound good, whatever it is...

billdewberry

Cadet

Sorry sir but while you were scolding me could you have answered the question I have? Just wondering. Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.