mercruiser steering issue

Hi i am having a problem with my steering assembly. it is a power steering mercruiser 225 with a 350 chevy in a 1977 sea ray 240 flybridge.

problem is that i can move the outdrive left/right about 45 - 50 degrees. the play is NOT in between the outdrive and the steering assembly, but the whole assembly (actuators and all the threaded adjusting rods) moves side to side with it several inches. it seems to slide through a piece on the transom that it should be hard mounted to, but i do not see how it can be done.

after i get cleaned up i am going to take a couple of pics to help explain what i mean.

any input is appreciated. thanks, brandon.

Re: mercruiser steering issue

here are pics. i put a little red number 1 one the part that is solid on the transom, that the whole thing slides through.
dsc00527.jpg

dsc00528.jpg

dsc00529.jpg

dsc00530.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If there is a nut on the right side, tighten it untill the play on the left side is gone.

Attachments

• wmdsc00528.jpg
    wmdsc00528.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0

there is a nut about an inch the the right of that piece, i didnt know if it was part of something else. the part your yellow arrow points to is a actuator body-ish thing. the nut is up against that.

i ran the nut in and it really seems to help, when moving the wheel the outdrive turns instantly, instead of ten minutes later. ill post back once i put it in the water again.
thanks,
brandon