mercruiser Shift switch

searay rob

Cadet
I have a 1987 Sea ray Seville 19cc with a 3.0l engine and a alpha1 outdrive. Can anybody help me adjust the switch on top of the motor that makes the engine cut out to shift into neutral. The switch works, If I push the switch with my finger it cuts the engine out. When I shift into neutral I don't think it is working correctly, I have to kinda push and pull the shifter and sometimes it goes to far into reverse. Seems like it has pressure on it from the outdrive.
I am always able to get it into neutral but I don't want to mess up the throttle or cable by having to push on it to hard. I did check the lower shift cable and it is good and working properly. Thank for your time, Rob:rolleyes:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser Shift switch

I really doubt you need a switch adjustment, they almost NEVER need to be adjusted. Usually it's all cable adjustment problems. The switch has nothing to do with going into gear, and doesn't get used when coming out of gear unless you are in the water and there is a load on the prop. (The water)

Here's a link to the OEM manual. Free http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

Scroll to the last page and click on the section LETTER to look at that secion.
You need Section 2A for the adjustment.