Mercruiser problems

I have a 1994 Mercruiser engine that I don't know much about. I run it in saltwater and brackish water in SC. It wouldn't run when i put i in the water the other day. I got back to my house and ran it with muffs on and it ran fine. Took it back to the water and it wouldn't run. Anyone got an answer for me?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser problems

allergic to brackish water?
you need to narrow it down a bit:
is there enough fuel?
is there spark?
does it turn over?
does it sound like it wants to run or just crank?
safety lanyard switch(if equipped)
Any additional info would be helpful.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

How does the boat's angle in the water compare to its angle on the trailer? Is there enough fuel in the tank to not unport it when in the water?

Are you doing *anything* else differently when starting at home versus starting in the water?

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

:D

Anyway, ya gotta tell us what you're doing and what the engine is doing that it won't start.

Does it turn over?
Is there spark?

Most likely some type of electrical rather than fuel related.

Something simple like neutral cut-out switch or shift interrupt switch or maybe kill switch/lanyard.

Another possibility...bad connection under the dash. Try the jiggle test of the wires under the dash. Listen for things like gauges clicking on/off.

I'm doing exactly all the stuff the same. It does sit lower in the rear in the water. It turns over and trys to fire up. Its almost like its choking out. Is there any way that is not expelling the exhaust out and choking itself out?

Bondo

Staff member

Is there any way that is not expelling the exhaust out and choking itself out?

Ayuh,.... I suppose,....
Burnt up shutters Could be blocking the exhaust flow,+ then falling outa the way on muffs,....

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I have a 1994 Mercruiser engine that I don't know much about. I run it in saltwater and brackish water in SC. It wouldn't run when i put i in the water the other day. I got back to my house and ran it with muffs on and it ran fine. Took it back to the water and it wouldn't run. Anyone got an answer for me?

Do you know what model/size it is?
A 4 banger a V6? a V8??