mercruiser overheating

soler

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2005 Tahoe Q4. it has a carbed 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha 1. I put it in the lake on Friday and it overheated. The dealer Said it is probably the water pump impellar in the out drive. They also Said it should be replaced every year or two. If that is true, why don't I see more written about it? I have searched here and didn't see anything on it. Does everyone replace this thing regularly? How hard of a job is it?

Is there a good manual I should get my hands on? The part is cheap but labor is not.

I have heard that taking the lower unit off isn't so bad but there are a lot of things to be careful with when putting it all back together. Otherwise the drive unit could grenade on you the first time you put it in gear-

thanks!

SOLER

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercruiser overheating

Yes. It is a regularly maintained item. Every two years. A lot has been written about it. See the summerization post at the top of the page. You also need to look over your owners manual. It will explain a lot. If you choose to do the work yourself, buy a factory manual. Maintenance isn't tough or complicated if you know your way around vehicle hand tools, but it can end up costing tremendous money if ignored.

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, you should change impellar around every two years and i have heard it is a pretty easy job if you can get the lower unit off. If you take it and have it done i have been paying around $150.00. I would change it every couple years so it doesn't go out when your on the water and you cause damage from overheating. There are many threads on here about changing impellar and someone will join in and give you a link to the merc manual.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats.....:)
Every year is a bit much if you boat in fresh water & make sure water is always supplied whenever you turn the key......
This is the free online manual for your drive....
You will $ave thou$and$ by doing your own preventative maintainence...;)
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf

soler

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the responses! The first thing I did after talking with the service dealer was look in the owners manual. There was NOTHING in there about it. I looked and looked through the maint. section and there was nothing. That's why I was so surprised. If it was in there in the first place, I would have done it last year with all the rest of the stuff I did.

Has anyone used a Seloc Service Manual? Are they any good? I have heard good things, but not many things.

Thanks!:)

SOLER

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone used a Seloc Service Manual?

Don't waste your money. Haut just gave you a link to the online OEM manual. Just print out the pages you need

IF you look at your owners manual again under the maintenance schedule for when it is necessary.

EVERY 300 HOURS OR 3 YEARS
• Disassemble and inspect the seawater pump and replace worn components.

It's been like that since the Alpha I Gen II drives came out in 1991.
The thing is, that with all the work it takes to get to the impeller, why put an old one back in, and it's cheap insurance. New impeller every 3 years (along with new gaskets).

soler

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help/advice. I took it to the dealer the other day thinking it was just too big a job for me. Haut, thanks for the link. Mucho appreciated! I'm going to go get it back from the dealer tomorrow if they haven't started on it, and I'll do it myself.

Thanks again!

SOLER

soler

Seaman Apprentice

How many of you use a flushing device, and how many use a big platic container filled with water when running the boat out of the water?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Unless this...
http://www.kerrsmarine.com/html/1500.html
Is your big container....
Use a flushing device....
Your best off getting the one with the steel rod that goes through the drive, they tend not to fall off when your at the helm reading gauges.

soler

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,...... Most ALL of Us........

Obviously didn't read the whole thing. :rolleyes: Anyways, I have a big black storage container that I can put under the prop, lower prop, fill with water, and the whole lower unit is submerged. More is under water than just what the flushing device covers up.

I was going to go get the boat from the dealer today and do this work myself, but they had already started on it. I was told it would be a week before I'd have it back, but they go to it sooner. They also found that the plastic supply tube was melted and they have to replace that as well.

Sure wish the owners manual was written a little better. If the impellar is something to replace every year or two, why not say that specifically? All it says is take seawater pump apart and replace any worn items. Oh well. Lesson learned. I should have found this site a long time ago.

Thanks for all the help so far, y'all.

SOLER