Mercruiser I/O slop looseness

Hey guys new here, just bought a chaparral villain 2, needs some tlc, technically i traded my jet ski for it. Anyways, my main concern is the slop in the drive. I'm trying to figure out if its the gimbal bearing, the steering rod/pin, or what? It seems like if someone holds the steering wheel its in the transom part where the steering rack or rod is. I don't think its the gimbal bearing. Anyone have any advice as to how I can troubleshoot this.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser I/O slop looseness

Welcome Aboard
First ou need to tell the guys what outdrive/motor combo you have and a year would help also

Well I have a 1985 Chaparral Villain 2 with a 5.7 350 Mercruiser with is what I believe a bravo 1 outdrive. Thanks for the reply.

Now that I recall the shady marina the guy stored it at told me that he thought it needed a steering pin? Is this possible, and whats the detail on replacing one of those? FYI there is about 4 inches of play when I'm moving the outboard from just side to side. Faster the help the better I'm going to the marina when I wake up and also may buy a new steering setup on ebay, but I'm beginning to think this isn't the problem......

Sorry for posting again but I figured the more information the better. When I'm driving I cannot get up to high speed as the steering is loose and it seems as I put the trim up it tends to go more side to side.....It's actually quite scary so i haven't even been able to get the boat up to high speed and don't really want to drive it again until I get this fixed up! Thanks everyone.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... There weren't any Bravo drives in 1985,...

If the swivel pins in whatever drive you have are that loose,...
Ya oughta be pullin' the motor, 'n drive, 'n replacing them...

To know for Sure, have someone at the wheel, 'n another at the drive, both shakin' their end, while you crawl in, 'n observe what's loose, 'n where...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Sounds to me like your gimbal ring clamping screws are getting loose. The gimbal ring clamps around a square swivel pin and the two bolts holding it in place need to be kept tight. Locate the two bolts at the top of the gimbal ring and retorque them to 55 ft lb. They have nuts on the back so you will have to turn the outdrive side to side to get to them. As one tightens the other may loosen, so you may have to do it a couple of times. 4 inches is a lot of slop but you might be OK. Should be done at least once a year. Let us know how it works out. #28 here is what you are looking to tighten http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=50&bdesc=GIMBAL+RING+AND+STEERING+LEVER

rickryder

Commander

Sometimes the bolts are seized in the ring and you will not get a proper torque....take the 2 bolts out first and clean the corrosion...if that dosen't work it may be the gimbal ring and or the pin itself that is worn out.... Best bet is to look around with a flashlight behind the motor at the steering pin and linkage and look at the area where the square pin and gimbal ring attach for play...... this is some good info on that area...http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalringinst.htm

The guy at the marina said its the steering pin, but I'm taking it to my local marina and having them check it out first. Hopefully It's not that, sounds like it will be around 2-3 grand if so. I'll keep ya guys posted.

Can I back those bolts all the way out, and take them out without losing the nuts in the back? I did check if they were tight, they seem tight. I tightened them anyways to see if it fixed any of the slop, then returned them to where they were, but I will try and pull them all the way out and clean them and torque them down to 50.

I'm going to try everything tomorrow, but for the meantime, driving it like this cautiously is it safe? Or could I be doing more damage? This sounds like a winter project if I can't get it fixed by tightening everything up. Only problem I can see right now is only getting up to higher speeds as it get kinda squirrely and is very dangerous, I'll get it to plane out and keep it slow lol.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Those bolts aren't that loose. The gimbal ring is shot face it!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Can I back those bolts all the way out, and take them out without losing the nuts in the back?

Should be able to, turn the outdrive all the way to one side then the other to get to them.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

They don't have to be very loose, but if retorquing does not help, I would agree with that. I will also bet that there have been a LOT of gimbal rings replaced that just needed tightening:facepalm:.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm going to try everything tomorrow, but for the meantime, driving it like this cautiously is it safe? Or could I be doing more damage? This sounds like a winter project if I can't get it fixed by tightening everything up. Only problem I can see right now is only getting up to higher speeds as it get kinda squirrely and is very dangerous, I'll get it to plane out and keep it slow lol.

Ayuh,... Do ya drive yer car, with No Brakes,..??

Unprotected Sex is Safer that what you wanta do.... :rolleyes:

rickryder

Commander

Mine was loose and it just neede to be cleaned and tightened......ever one is different so look it over and find the problem.....

Just and updated I bought a whole transom assembly and freshly rebuilt outdrive...Just have to tackle the job now. Everyone agree the motor has to be pulled?