mercruiser i/o seems like no power

chifloater

Cadet
Came in off the lake today, fighting some 2-3 ftrs, just came ito the no wake zone and it seems like the motor is good rpms, but not moving out as good, like the rpms had to be a bit higher just to get it to idle to the marina? Prop looks good, what else to look for?? Thanks

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: mercruiser i/o seems like no power

Not sure what you are even describing.

Are you saying that the engine would rev up but had very little forward motion? If so, it sounds like either a spun prop or coupler. And you can't tell if a porp is bad just by looking at it. You can paint a line across the inner hub and the outer and see it is slips - or try a spare prop to see if it makes a difference.

chifloater

Cadet

sorry for the post, i was on a blackberry, and a bit mad about what is happening.....yes your getting to what i think is wrong.....nothing in the motor sounds bad at all, no odd noises...the only thing like i said is it seemed like i had to crank on the throttle a little more to get this thing moving thru the water...the prop had some dents and a small chunk out of it, we beached today and i came on on the sand and killed the motor once because it was too shallow.....(yes i raised it up , but still happened)...are my chances good that just the prop? this thing ran way to good before , took off and planed no problem, and ran 35 for a good 40 min last week without hesitation

chifloater

Cadet

changed the prop, and Im good to go....i guess hittin the prop on the beach was enough to make it spin the hub....thank GOD.....