Mercruiser Engine serial numbers

tango13

Seaman
Are the engine serial numbers on on Mercruiser block tag and flame arrestor cover unique to the engine or are they the same for a range of the same engines? My engine serial number is 0F557755. It’s a gen V 7.4 block. Thanks in advance.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Are the engine serial numbers on on Mercruiser block tag and flame arrestor cover unique to the engine or are they the same for a range of the same engines? My engine serial number is 0F557755. It’s a gen V 7.4 block. Thanks in advance.
Unique to your engine. No two engines would have same serial number.

Fun Times

Staff member
Sort of depends on what, where and who’s looking for what for an exact match.

The serial number is unique to your engine but there are also some serial number ranges available that helps get you within what you’re looking for for your engine model type/size, etc.. And usually the serial number helps locate the proper parts sometimes indicated within the notes found next to certain items had there been any changes during production…. Often seen as above or below a serial number range against your exact number.
0F557755 = 1995 MERCRUISER TB5, W/PS, TWO-PC-EX, WORO, GEN V 7.4L BRAVO model number 474B110HS.

tango13

Seaman
Sort of depends on what, where and who’s looking for what for an exact match.

The serial number is unique to your engine but there are also some serial number ranges available that helps get you within what you’re looking for for your engine model type/size, etc.. And usually the serial number helps locate the proper parts sometimes indicated within the notes found next to certain items had there been any changes during production…. Often seen as above or below a serial number range against your exact number.
0F557755 = 1995 MERCRUISER TB5, W/PS, TWO-PC-EX, WORO, GEN V 7.4L BRAVO model number 474B110HS.

Thanks for that.

More just curious as I was told the motor was cracked and replaced but after changing plug wires last night I noticed that the serial number plate on the block matches the one on the flame arrestor cover, which also has the matching drive and transom serial numbers. So either the replacement engine is the same year as the original, or the shop swapped the plate…. I’ll be asking about it in the spring when it goes in for some other work but it got my brain thinking as I’m fairly certain I have an invoice from the previous owner stating a replacement gen v block.. is it common practice to re-river those tags onto replacement blocks? The casting number checks out as it’s a 1991+ gen v.

Fun Times

Staff member
It’s possible the serial tag was moved over but I don’t believe it common to do it but maybe a more thorough marine company did it vs what I recall hearing/seeing in years past from others.
That location is unique for Mercruiser and generally a remanufactured engine from MerCruiser would also come with a different tag number that usually started with a 9******* would be mounted there but using that new number doesn’t help much at finding parts like I posted above but not impossible either.

If the block came from anyone else then I believe that area come blank and maybe someone put the tag back.

At first thought I’d probably just assume the engine was still original had I’d seen that tag unless you mentioned a new engine was changed then I’d be trying to look real close at the tag to see if there’s any indication of the tag being removed and replaced via bent/damaged, etc..

Maybe @Yegboats might happen to see something in the history of your number.

tango13

Seaman
It’s possible the serial tag was moved over but I don’t believe it common to do it but maybe a more thorough marine company did it vs what I recall hearing/seeing in years past from others.
That location is unique for Mercruiser and generally a remanufactured engine from MerCruiser would also come with a different tag number that usually started with a 9******* would be mounted there but using that new number doesn’t help much at finding parts like I posted above but not impossible either.

If the block came from anyone else then I believe that area come blank and maybe someone put the tag back.

At first thought I’d probably just assume the engine was still original had I’d seen that tag unless you mentioned a new engine was changed then I’d be trying to look real close at the tag to see if there’s any indication of the tag being removed and replaced via bent/damaged, etc..

Maybe @Yegboats might happen to see something in the history of your number.
Thanks for all this. The tag does look a little beat up. There’s certainly evidence that the motor was pulled and reinstalled. I’ll try and get a pic.

Shop that did it is legit, but it def has sent me for a brain spin as I didn’t expect to see it on the block of this swapped motor