Mercruiser Drive unit shift cable 1-3/8" measurement.

Handchops

Cadet
Hi! New to the forum. I have a 1977 Formula Thunderbird with original Ford motor and Mercruiser outdrive. The shift cut-out switch is not working for the forward to neutral movement. I decided to do the entire shift cable adjustment as per the Seloc manual. The first step says "Measure the amount the inner core of the drive unit shift cable extends from the end of the cable guide insert. This measurement MUST be 1-3/8". I can only get 7/8". Is the 1-3/8" as important as the manual says and if so can I cut the threaded end of the cable guide insert by 1/2" to achieve it. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Drive unit shift cable 1-3/8" measurement.

Hi! New to the forum. I have a 1977 Formula Thunderbird with original Ford motor and Mercruiser outdrive. The shift cut-out switch is not working for the forward to neutral movement. I decided to do the entire shift cable adjustment as per the Seloc manual. The first step says "Measure the amount the inner core of the drive unit shift cable extends from the end of the cable guide insert. This measurement MUST be 1-3/8". I can only get 7/8". Is the 1-3/8" as important as the manual says and if so can I cut the threaded end of the cable guide insert by 1/2" to achieve it. Thanks.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... There's yer problem,...

Go download the factory manuals from up in the Adults Only section, at the top of this forum...