Mercruiser drive plate

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is yet another question in the long sage of my Wildcat. Hopefully I am getting closer.
Whilst making an alignment tool I realised that the coupler on the engine I got with the boat was slightly different to the engine I got to replace it. The engine I have fitted in the boat is mounted on a largr rectangular flex plate. The origonal is a cast ally unit with the rubber bush and splines in the middle of it, the unit is mounted by 6 or 8 bolts all close together in the middle of the flywheel. Does anyone know if these having been interchanged will cause me to be having problems lining up the drive? I thought that perhaps one sat further away from the transum and that was why My splines were not going fully home. If they are interchangable there is no problem.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mercruiser drive plate

The larger one is typically used on a V-8, but if it'll fit the flywheel, there should be no problem.

Newer drives use a longer splined shaft than older models. I've never measured, but a couple inches? They fit the same U-joint coupler on the drive, so sometimes you have to put an old shaft on a new drive or vice versa to fit the application. Might that be your problem?

Bondo

Staff member

Need More Info,......
I Think you're headed for a Bigger Problem..........
It Sounds like you have, or Had a Mod.1 drive, Pre-Alpha......
And,......
It Sounds like you're installing a motor rigged for an Alpha,......
The difference in the Coupler is only the tip of the Problems.......

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The drive is pre alpha yes, 1972 ish I think. The engine I have just bought is a 1984, it had a flywheel housing that had the rear mounts too close together so I put the origonal flywheel housing onto the new engine but left the splined coupler on the engine, it has a trianguler flex plate that bolts to the flywheel. I am having big problems lining up the drive, it looks spot on, but am told I will never align it by sight. I was removing the coupling off the old engine to aid in the making of an alignment tool when I realised that they were different. Will I need to pull the engine again and put the origonal one back on?

Bondo

Staff member

Will I need to pull the engine again and put the origonal one back on?

I Believe that might be So......
The Alpha style coupler is, I Think, Longer.....
The Splines are the Same though....
Atleast your donor motor is of the proper Vintage, So you Can use the old coupler......
I'm glad you found the other Issue I was thinking of......The Rear Motor Mount....