Mercruiser Alpha one Gen 2 water temp question

dmoccia

Cadet
Cruising for some comments: My boat has three 4 components associated with water temperature: temp gauge, temp sender, temp. switch and thermostat. While running under high load (4000-4500 rpm) temp gauge reads 175 deg consistently. At the same time, I get intermittent alarms which I had suspected were due to engine temperature. I took out the sender and the switch and tested both. For the sender, the manual shows a table that has resistance readings that should correspond to temperatures:. at 140deg F-121to147 ohms, 194 deg F- 47-55 ohms, and at 212deg F-36-41 ohms. At 212 deg F, the lowest resistance reading was 55 ohms. The manual says to replace it if any of the readings are outside the ranges shown in the table, so I conclude (sort of) that I need a new sender. I also checked the temp switch (part 48952) and it appears to be ok. The switch is supposed to close at 190-200 deg F. It closed at a little higher than 200, more like 210 but that could have been due to my water bath setup causing some inaccuracies. I haven't checked the thermostat yet. Would like to hear from anyone that knows about this system, particularly whether or not what I have described would cause me to get alarms while running.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You can also get the alarm from low drive lube bottle and low oil pressure . you can diconnect these one by one and see what makes alarm go away. like temp oil has a sender that works the gauge via ohm signal to gauge and has separate switch at like 4 or 7 psi that trips switch.
verify temp with IR gun or calibrated hand on thermostat housing , oil pressure with mechanical gauge to rule out actual issue vs false alarm.

dmoccia

Cadet
You can also get the alarm from low drive lube bottle and low oil pressure . you can diconnect these one by one and see what makes alarm go away. like temp oil has a sender that works the gauge via ohm signal to gauge and has separate switch at like 4 or 7 psi that trips switch.
verify temp with IR gun or calibrated hand on thermostat housing , oil pressure with mechanical gauge to rule out actual issue vs false alarm.
Thanks. I will try.

alldodge

Staff member
What motor, serial number is best?
What kind of alarm, single beep, constant beep, double beep?

The Temp sender for the gauge will not cause an alarm