Mercruiser alignment tool

bipp

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser 140 in a 78 Glasstron. I just put the motor back in and it seems to be mounted right. The spring washer is sitting in the middle of the fiber washer. But the front mount I had to raise 1/2 inch from what it was set at before I took the motor out. The book says 60 lbs.tork on the rear bolts. Is the alignment done for just the gimble bearing into the engine coupling, or does the alignment include the outdrive yoke?<br /><br />first time post, Bipp

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Mercruiser alignment tool

You are aligning the gimbal bearing with the drive couplier. With a unit of that age, you may have sagging rear mounts along with the front mounts. If you can adjust the front mount where the alignment tool will slide smoothly, then no problem. If not, you may need to replace the two rear mounts in the bellhousing.

bipp

Cadet

The tool go's in just fine. I was concerned that the u-joints would not lined up with the dive in the down possion. <br /><br /> Thank's

Capt Ken

Commander

If the tool fits, slap the drive on and go boating. Everything else lines up fine.

Bondo

Staff member

as cap ken says, your aligning the gimbal bearing to the drive coupler... the u-joints/ yokes are aligned/located by the gimbal housing to outdrive connection...<br /><br />Bondo

bipp

Cadet

Thanks all<br /><br />-----------------------<br />Epitaph, can't fix this.