Mercruiser (A508384) Info., year, H.P.

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mercruiser (A508384) Info., year, H.P. etc
Hello, I bought a 1986 Chris Craft 210 Scorpion LTD ($900.), with mercruiser motor A508384,
8 cyl. , what motor info. can you tell me? What boat info. can you tell me?

The motor has been sitting (winterized) for 2-3 years, I think. Motor turns over fine, I didn't try to start up. I was going to remove the plugs and spray some lubrication into each cylinder, and turn over motor with the plugs out (yes / no ).

How can I pump out the old gas from the tank? Have the impeller changed. Change oil & lower end fluid, change plugs, fuel filter, clean spark arester on carb., check/clean points, distibutor.

What else should be done before trying to start, by me or marine mach. Thank-you for any and all advice!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser (A508384) Info., year, H.P.

It is a 1986 260 model 5.7 engine, with an Alpha I outdrive. For boat information, you should post over in the boat topics forum for better more answers, this is just the IO repair forum, and it really doesn't have anything to do with the type of boat.
If it's been setting for 3 years, along with the things you mentioned, I would pull the outdrive and change all bellows for water or signs of water, check engine alignment, check ujoints, check the gimbal bearing to make sure it's smooth.
Your distributror is electronic, (Thunderbolt IV) so no points. Give the engine a tuneup, new plugs cap and rotor.

Motor turns over fine, I didn't try to start up. I was going to remove the plugs and spray some lubrication into each cylinder, and turn over motor with the plugs out (yes / no ).

You should have pulled the plugs first before cranking the engine over, but it won't hurt to put some oil in each cylinder and crank it over a few times to lube the cylinder walls and blow the excess oil out before you start it.
The best thing would have been to remove the distributor and use an oil pump priming tool to pressureize the system and build oil pressure, but if you have already cranked the engine over, no reason to do that now.
You will probably have to rebuild the carb if it doesn't work right, so don't be surprised if it doesn't idle or pump gas from the accelerator pump and you have to prime the engine by pouring gas into the carb.

You are also going to need some manuals. Here are links to the OEM Mercruiser manuals you can download to your computer.
Engine - http://www.4shared.com/document/LXsFg1do/Service_Manual_09.html
Outdrive - http://www.4shared.com/document/zz_5pj9o/Service_Manual_06.html

One other thing while you have the outdrive off, make sure the lower shift cable works smooth and easily, if it's sticky, your engine will die when you shift gears, so might want to replace it if bad.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Mercruiser (A508384) Info., year, H.P.

I have an old Bosch electric fuel pump from a 240 Volvo car (plumbed with a Racor W/S fuel filter) that I use to drain tanks