Mercruiser 6.2l 300 (2018) fuel oil mixture prior to winterization?

ck82

Cadet
Hey All,

Just checking if indeed running an oil fuel mixture from a small tank is something that is of importance prior to winterizing? I misplaced my manual briefly and believe it was stated to do so?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I don't,..... but if you insist, just pour abit of oil into the fuel filter with gas, 'n run it abit,.....

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Merc recommendation is a cocktail of gas, stabilizer and 2 cycle oil in a small tank, and run on that. I believe around the lines of 5 gallon gas, stabilizer per instructions, and 16 oz of oil.
I usually do not fog it just for a winters rest. But the other suggestion to just put some 2 stoke oil in the filter and run would work fine as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Merc recommends 50:1 mix (same as outboards)

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
To fog the motor
Not really, that's just part of it. This is the real reason.

IMPORTANT: Mercury MerCruiser requires that propylene glycol antifreeze, mixed to the manufacturer's instructions, be used in the seawater section of the cooling system for freezing temperatures or extended storage. Ensure that the propylene glycol antifreeze contains a rust inhibitor and is recommended for use in marine engines. Be certain to follow the propylene glycol manufacturer's recommendations. Preparing Power Package for Storage—MPI Models Multipoint fuel injection (MPI) systems must have a special mix of fuel, stabilizer, and lubricant, completely fill the fuel delivery system. This fuel mix stabilizes the fuel and lubricates the fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors and, reduces internal oxidation of the fuel system metal components. IMPORTANT: This special fuel mix can be used on Mercury Marine catalyzed gasoline engines.

And the correct mix is 10:1 ----- 2 qts oil to 5 gals gas

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I only do about roughly between 30-50 to 1. Manual says much more. That’s for the older GM mpi though. Plugs are too bloody expensive to mess up beyond recovery I think

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All depends on if you can or not…but all I do is let the tank run as empty as I dare on the last sail of the season with this in mind (using the smart craft data on fuel) and I have about 10l of premixed fuel and oil ready to pour in for the way back to the slipway to take the boat out the water. Then throw it in with leaving as little as possible left over and ran through the engine. Can easily smell it coming through the side exits on mine. If you don’t have that situation or option…run a remote tank line into the fuel filter fittings. I do this with my very new merc outboard too.