Mercruiser 5.0 closed cooling conversion?

i have a 1994 mercruiser with alpha one outdrive. i am considering converting this to a closed cooling system but can i do this without adding a water take up pump? Market converstion kits do not include a pump and seloc manuals show there is one at time of factory install.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 closed cooling conversion?

You do not need it, the pump in the drive is sufficient.....;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's recommended that you not convert to a closed cooling system after 125 hours or 1 years use. Especially if it was used in salt water. Corrosion has already started and rust will flake off and clog the passages in your new heat exchanger.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I converted from a block only fwc system ,to a closed cooling system 4years ago. I removed the manifolds ,removed all the plugs,baked them in a barbicue on low heat for 1 hour,blew them out with air, this removed a lot of rust and scale.I then replaced the plugs,filled them up with muratic acid and let them stew for 1 hour.I rinced them out with water,lots of water,then blew them out with air again. I use only the water pump in the leg,this system has worked perfectly for 4 years and runs at 160 at low speed,180 under load

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is the reason that someone would convert to a closed water cooling system? Advantages / disadvantage?

-DrCox

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Protect your engine and manifolds (if you decide to include your manifolds in your closed system) against 2 things.

1: Corosion from fresh/salt water
2: Cracking from freezing in the winter time

It is my understanding that manifolds and risers have a fixed life spawn when raw cooled. But when fresh cooled (antifreeze) they will last forever (well the manifolds will, the risers are always subjected to raw water)