mercruiser 454 magnum reversion problem

jet lag

Recruit
Anybody know anything about the "industry wide issue" that Sea Ray is telling me happened from 1999 to 2002 involving exhaust and therefore reversion problems associated with mercruiser v/8's? I looked at a 2001 Sea Ray that is on its third set of engines due to a faulty exhaust design, Any enlightenment?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: mercruiser 454 magnum reversion problem

It's a boat issue, not a motor issue. The manufacturer didn't put high enough risers on and the motor gets water intrusion. If it's an industry-wide problem, I haven't heard of it. Complain to Sea Ray, not MerCruiser.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I am sure there are more here knowledgeable people here but, if you post the model & stern drive serial # you will get a more informed response....<br />I assume you are talking about water intrusion through the exhaust from either bad cam timing, defective shutters or low static level?<br />Go to the 'Search' function & punch in "static level".....That should help you get some of your answers.....Welcome to iboats,BTW :) .....JK

jet lag

Recruit

WillyBWright,<br /> Do you think this is or was a fixable problem. They say they elevated the risers and put updated exhaust to solve the issue?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

That's what you would do for a static level problem...I agree that it sounds like a Sea Ray problem, not a Mercruiser problem...Read the link I mentioned above....Lots of answers there ;) .....JK

jet lag

Recruit

Thank you Haut Medoc,<br /> I did but being that I am new to this and not high up there on the IQ chart I had to send it to a buddy to tell me what all this means. Sounds like I should move on to a boat that has not had to have a third set of ingines. Thanks for the help