Mercruiser - 4 cly. GM motor support ?

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1973 Starcraft Holiday 18' with 140 h.p. I/O Mercruiser, GM 4 cly. motor, I was checking out this boat I picked up, and I noticed that there was only one wooden motor support under the fwd. end of the motor. It looks like there should/could be one under the middle of the motor? I don't see any marks on hull of boat were there was one previous years, but I don't know? Should there be one under there? Does the transom take some of the weight? What is the aprox. weight of this 4 cyl. motor? What type of mount? (please move question if not in proper forum) Thank-you.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser - 4 cly. GM motor support ?

The transom takes the rest of the weight. On the GM 4-cyl there is a single front mount and two rear mounts on the transom plate. The engine only weighs a few hundred lbs so it doesn't require much bracing. The transom can hold a LOT more, as it is quite thick (~2 inches thick).

importfan82

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser - 4 cly. GM motor support ?

I'm not sure where to post this question, but I have seen links on here to a website that has sections of the shop manual in pdf format. What site is that please and how do I navigate from section to section without using the links posted here? Thanks