Mercruiser 4.3L TKS Carb scan tool?

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ciao,
I have got 2005 Merc 4.3L V6 and I would like to ask You if this engine requires any scan tool?
To check RPMS, oil pressure, how the timing works etc? I believe its TB V.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
No scan tool required or available. That is a carbureted engine without an ecm or sensors.

To check oil pressure rely on the dash electronic gauge or use a mechanical gauge to verify operation. Timing and rpm can be obtained with an advance timing light. Check idle/initial timing with the module in base timing mode (purple/WHT lead grounded)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Although no codes are generated by the system, TB-V does track engine hours, and I know the Diacom software can read it. Not sure about the hand scanners.

Chris.......

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have timing lamp for timing and for RPM ive used laser meter 1652099419692.png
@achris that would be awesome to figure out my engine hourse, because Ive bought a boat with aftermarket tachometer so Im curious of the hours on my engine...
Do You know if this software is avaiable for DIYer? What cable I will need for this? Or its too expensive just to check it..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have timing lamp for timing and for RPM ive used laser meter View attachment 360070
@achris that would be awesome to figure out my engine hourse, because Ive bought a boat with aftermarket tachometer so Im curious of the hours on my engine...
Do You know if this software is avaiable for DIYer? What cable I will need for this? Or its too expensive just to check it..
Depends on how much the money in your pocket is bothering you ...$695

achris

Depends on how much the money in your pocket is bothering you ...$695

Or just take it to a dealer and have them read it for you. Takes a couple of minutes to connect the computer to the engine, turn the key ON (don't even need to start it), and do a 'read'. Whole process only takes about 5 minutes.

Chris.....

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats awesome but its so pricey for regular DIYer... better spend 700$ on fuel or for maintanance ;)
@achris tell me what cable I need for TBV ?? Take care

And there is no dealer / tech with this scanner in my area

Fun Times

Staff member
Thats awesome but its so pricey for regular DIYer... better spend 700$ on fuel or for maintanance ;)
@achris tell me what cable I need for TBV ?? Take care

And there is no dealer / tech with this scanner in my area
Chris did post the cable needed to read TB-5 engine hours with the use of a handheld scan tool too… it’s the red, black, yellow, purple wires in the lower right corner in post number 7… Rinda techmate part number 94020 can often be seen searching either online using the number and Rinda name, Ebay, or possibly buy directly from Rinda technologies in Chicago if they still sell this particular cable as I haven’t seen them list it as of late… You/anyone can call them and ask for and buy it/anything they sell there too.

achris

Apparently Rinda don't make that cable anymore. But a bit of online search turned up a diagram of how it's made. So if you need to, you can make it yourself, or if I find the particular parts needed I will be making one for myself, and if need be, I'd be able to make a few more. ;)

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Achris, unfortunately I am on the other side of the Globe ;) But I have found some info about this adapter and found a mechanic with Rinda but they have PC Version, will it work? What do You think? That would be awesome to check real hours on my boat im so excited.