Mercruiser 4.3L Dies Suddenly

bbrnhart

Cadet
My 1992 carburated 4.3 L Bayliner 2252 dies suddenly at no particular time. It started a couple months ago. We'd be at cruise speed and it would die suddenly, no warning. It would start right up again and would not do it again for several more hours or weeks of running. It got progessivly worse. It would die, restart run great for an hour die again run for a few minutes and die again. A couple times it would not start or fire again for 5 - 10 minutes. It seems to die at trawler to cruising speeds. I don't recall it dieing at idle. I changed the coil with no change. I changed the plug wires, rotor, cap and fuel filter and it ran great again. for several good outings. Thought I had her whipped. Out yesterday and no more than got on plane and it died agian. Started up again right away and it ran all day with never a miss.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 4.3L Dies Suddenly

Time to start it up and do a wiggle test on everything electrical in the engine compartment and under the dash. When you touch something and it dies, you're getting real close to finding the problem.

bbrnhart

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 4.3L Dies Suddenly

Several years ago my wire from the oil presure switch to the starter motor was shutting the motor down and you hit it right on. I'll do the wiggle test. The weird part is it never shuts down in rough water. It is always dead smooth. That is the part that has been driving me nuts.