Mercruiser 4.3 to 5.7 engine swap

homealone

Cadet
Information.. Alpha I/gen2. I just replaced my 4.3 liter V6 with a 5.0 liter high performance V8 (I said 5.7 because you don't usually get this much out of a 5.0 and the 4.3 is 225hp). Amazing how little you have to change! Almost everything is a direct swap to the V8. I had to buy exhaust manifolds and the rear aluminum V8 elbows (both ebay..). Had to move the motor mounts forward. The Thunderbolt IV distributor needed a V8 rotor and cap. A little work on the hoses (had to extend 2 of them). That's it. The water pump, power steering, alternater, starter, etc. all bolted right up. The motor slipped right in and runs great. The outdrive gear ratio is a little higher than for a normal V8 but it's fine (1.64:1 as opposed to 1.5:1). Just thought someone may be interested.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 to 5.7 engine swap

I hope you did your research. You are right , easy swap with the right changes. If it is raw water cooled I hope you changed the freeze plugs to brass (if not the first one that will start leaking will be on the back of the motor, under the bell housing. Murphy's Law) and if you are using a aluminum water pump you will be swapping out another motor in 3 months. If you already know about this and about the other stuff then you just found out how easy I/O power plants are if you brake it down to the basic motor.

Bansheex13

Seaman

Anyone else done this swap? Why would you have to move the motor mounts? Doesn't the 4.3 and the 5.7 share the same motor mount location?

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think your motor mounts would be shifted forward just a little bit more than the 4.3.. 2 extra cylinders means a little extra weight, and I'm sure the engine is designed to rest at level on those mounts. If you didn't move the mounts it would fall on its face.

Bondo

Staff member

April 9th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Ayuh,....

This post is Over 4 Years Old,.....

Couldn't you just ask the Question,..??

The V8s are Longer than the V6s,....
Of Course the motor mounts are farther from the rear mounts......